Skillet Cornbread with Whipped Honey Butter is phenomenal. This recipe is so light and so fluffy, it may as well be a slice of cake. Top it with sweet whipped honey butter and you’ve got yourself something truly satisfying.
I’ve always loved cornbread…I think. See the thing is, I can’t remember a time I really loved it before this recipe. Cornbread can be dense and dry, which no one really likes. But this recipe, boy oh boy, does it change the game. My aunt (Hi Tia!) shared this recipe with my mom years ago. We had it written down on a piece of scrap paper. It kept getting lost so we thought we would be smart and type it up. That version ended up getting spattered and stained (the sign of a truly great recipe). So now it is saved as a note in each of our phones and at this point, I think my mom knows it by heart. All of this to say, make the cornbread…it’s heavenly. 😊
Tips for making Skillet Cornbread with Whipped Honey Butter:
- This cornbread will burn easily, so be sure to keep a watchful eye on it. I typically begin checking it around 25 minutes.
- The skillet is optional, but I do think it gives the cornbread a nice crust. I use a 10-inch cast iron that I preheat in the oven before adding the batter.
- For the honey butter – the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of honey. You may need more, depending on the kind of honey you use. When I taste test the honey butter, I like to taste the honey before the butter. It’s a personal preference.
- Use the hand mixer or stand mixer to whip the honey butter. It helps to aerate the mixture, resulting in a lighter butter.
- I love making to make this when make chili. Is there anything better than chili with cornbread? I think not!
That’s it! It’s pretty straightforward and easy to make. I hope you love it as much as me and my family do! Enjoy 🙂
Skillet Cornbread with Whipped Honey Butter
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 6 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup melted butter plus an addition tablespoon for the skillet
Whipped Honey Butter
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ¼ cup honey
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place your skillet in the oven while the oven preheats.
- Whisk all the ingredients together a large bowl until smooth. Remove the skillet from the oven and grease with the additional butter. Carefully pour the batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted to the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Whipped Honey Butter
- Place the butter, honey, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix the ingredients on medium high until the butter has doubled in size and has a slight shine to it, roughly 3-5 minutes.