Stone fruit season calls for simple, easy, yet flavorful recipes that come together quickly. This plum and soppressata sandwich with caramelized red onions, soft creamy brie, and peppery baby arugula is the perfect summer sandwich. Salty and sweet, crisp and melty, this sandwich will quickly become your go-to.
This post is not sponsored, but you will find affiliate links on this page. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but I may make a small commission based on your purchase.
There is no need to make this overly complicated. However, there are some things that you’ll want to do to ensure this simple sandwich is an extraordinary one.
Tips for Plum and Soppressata Sandwich with Caramelized Red Onions
- Caramelized red onions lend a jammy sweetness to this. In this version, I add a bit of balsamic glaze to the onions to add a depth of flavor without having to spend a long time waiting for the onions to cook down. No time to sauté an onion? Not a problem, feel free to add an onion jam of any variety. Also, it should go without saying, but feel free to skip this step if onions aren’t your jam…ha…get it? I’ll see myself out now.
- Make sure your plum is ready to be eaten. Pick a plum that has smooth, wrinkle-free skin. Also, if you give the plum a gentle squeeze, it should give ever so slightly.
- Much like a peach, plums have a pit, or stone, in the center. Cut the plum in half around the center using a small knife. Just like an avocado, twist the two halves of the fruit in opposite directions to separate. Lastly, gently remove the pit and slice or eat as desired.
- You can substitute soppressata for a host of other deli-style cured meats. For example, prosciutto, jamón serrano, salami, or spicy capicola would all work wonderfully here.
- The same can be said for the cheese selection as well. I love the soft, creamy texture and flavor brie brings to this sandwich. That said, chèvre, camembert, or even blue cheese can be used.
At the risk of sounding repetitive, that’s it! It’s a sandwich that is so yummy, you’ll want to make it over and over again. Especially when you tweak it to fit your taste buds! Enjoy!
Plum and Soppressata Sandwich with Caramelized Red Onions
Caramelized Red Onion
- 1 Red Onion thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Balsamic Glaze
- 1 demi French Baguette
- 4 oz Italian Uncured Sopressata Salami
- 4 oz Double Crème Brie Cheese sliced
- ½ Plum sliced
- ⅓ cup Baby Arugula
- salt to taste
Caramelized Red Onions
- Heat butter and olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium until melted. Add the red onions and sauté until soft and slightly brown in color. Add the balsamic glaze and a splash of water. Continue to cook until the water has evaporated.
Build the Sandwich
- Split open the baguette. Layer the caramelized onions, soppressata, brie, plums, baby arugula. Drizzle with olive oil and honey.