Living in Florida means it’s basically summertime all year around. I’m a huge pie lover, but there are days it’s so darn hot that the last thing I want is a warm fruit pie or cobbler. Enter this chocolate peanut buttery goodness! This peanut butter ice cream pie is the perfect sweet treat for summer. You have the richness of the peanut butter and the lightness of the vanilla ice cream and frozen whipped topping. Also, that layer of chocolate coating at the bottom adds a great surprise.
Now for some tips on making this recipe:
- Whipped topping, the kind from the freezer section, is a lifesaver. While working on this recipe, I never thought to add it. I would end up with a super hard pie that would be icy, which no one really likes. Adding whipped topping brings a level of creaminess and airiness that is crucial.
- Feel free to add any mix-ins that you prefer; chopped pretzels are super yummy here. You can swap out the candy as well, just try to avoid any gummy candies. They will freeze too hard.
- I like to let my pie set overnight in the freezer. This requires a little prior planning but trust me when I say it’s worth the wait.
- Do not skip the layer of chocolate on the bottom as it will keep the pie bottom from getting soggy on the bottoms.
I’m genuinely excited for you to give this recipe a go. This is arguably the most requested pie recipe in my family; the kiddos just love it.
Peanut butter ice cream pie comes together so easily and is perfect for those long hot summer days and is sure to put a smile on your face! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy 🙂
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie
- 1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp creamy peanut butter divided
- 2½ cups vanilla ice cream slightly softened
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 6 peanut butter cups chopped
- Place semisweet chocolate chips and 2 tbsp of peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals until the mixture is melted.
- Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture into the pre-made crust. Using a spatula, smooth out the mixture along the bottom and edges to create an even layer. Place in the freezer to set for 10 minutes.
- While the crust sets, place the softened ice cream, whipped topping, and chopped peanut butter cups into a large mixing bowl. Mix until evenly combined. Swirl the remaining peanut butter throughout the ice cream mixture.
- Remove the pie crust from the freezer and add the ice cream mixture, spreading it out into an even layer.
- Place pie in freezer to set for a minimum of 6 hours or until set.