The ever classic Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie is the ultimate feel good treat! Is there anything more comforting than the wonderful combination of peanut butter and chocolate? These cookies perfectly blend of salty sweetness with an added crackle.
I’ve reached the point in my life where I’ve accepted, and embraced, my undying love for peanut butter and chocolate. My favorite candy is Reese’s, in any shape or form. I’ll gladly pick a peanut butter sundae, peanut butter pie, peanut butter cookie; utterly obsessed and not ashamed.
However, peanut butter blossom cookies may take the cake. I love the textural contrast you get from the crackle from the base vs the smooth creamy chocolate. Yet, what I love the most is getting to make these with my kids. These cookies practically beg for little ones to help. From rolling the dough to placing the chocolate kisses, I can always count on bonding over them.
Tips for Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie:
- This is a shaggy, slightly dryer dough. I generally press the dough together in my hand before rolling them into the ball shape.
- I implore you to use turbinado sugar to roll the dough balls into before baking. Turbinado sugar is natural cane sugar that has been minimally processed and, therefore, has a subtle brown color and is more molasses in flavor. It is also more coarse than granulated sugar, which adds an incredible texture to the cookie.
- Once the cookies are removed from the oven, immediately add the chocolate kisses. If you allow the cookie to cool, it will harden and you will not be able to press the chocolate into the cookie.
- I use standard milk chocolate kisses for this recipe. You can substitute dark chocolate if you wish. I would note that dark chocolate make for a much richer cookie, one that my kids, unfortunately, won’t eat. 🙁 I’ve been told one day they’ll outgrow the pickiness and I can make whatever I want. Until then, however, I’m a slave to the milk chocolate Gods.
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup turbinado sugar
- 32 chocolate candy kisses
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the shortening, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until a shaggy dough begins to form. Add the heavy cream and mix until it is just combined.
- Shape the cookies into 1-inch balls and roll in the turbinado sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Immediately top each cookie with a chocolate candy kiss. Cool completely.