Hey there small internet family! It’s a big day here at Our Food Before Us. This Patatas Bravas recipe, along with Summer Chicken Salad, are brought to you by my husband. If being an introvert was a sport, he would take home the gold. If you knew him, you would know how big of a deal this is. In other words, internet, just be nice. I’ll let him take it from here:
The first time I had Patatas Bravas was in the mountain village of Jaca in Spain as a kid. I fell in love instantly. Golden potatoes with mayonnaise and a layer of a tomato and pepper sauce on top. This dish has the perfect amount of spice and comfort to make you feel warm through a cool mountain night.
Golden potatoes with mayonnaise and a layer of a tomato and pepper sauce on top. This dish has the perfect amount of spice and comfort to make you feel warm
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 medium serrano peppers stems and seeds removed
- ½ medium yellow onion
- ½ head garlic
- 8 oz tomato sauce canned
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- salt to taste
- Broil the red bell pepper, onion, serrano peppers, and garlic until slightly charred.
- Place the red bell and serrano peppers in a ziplock to steam for 5 minutes. Remove the peppers from the bag and gently peel the skins.
- Add the peppers, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, olive oil and salt into a food processor. Pulse until the sauce is smooth. Set to the side.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes, about 1-inch thick.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat until it reaches 325°F. Working in batches, fry the potatoes until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Once golden, remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle with salt immediately. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl. Gently spoon a layer of mayonnaise on top of the potatoes, followed by a generous layer of the red sauce. Enjoy