Movie Night Puppy Chow is great combination of salty and sweet and the perfect pairing for a night in. From the buttery, salty popcorn to the sweet chocolate covered cereal, it’s an addictive snack you’ll keep coming back for.
Once of my favorite things to do is to go to the movies. It was something that we did regularly growing up. We would order a large popcorn and my mom would ask for extra containers for my brother and I. She would divvy it up for us while my dad kept whatever was left in the bag, typically finishing it before the previews were over. I get it, movie theater popcorn is so good!
I loved it…even if I was notorious for asking my mom to use the restroom and literally the worst moments. The epic launch scene from Apollo 13? Check. The Titanic sinking with Jack and Rose on the railing? Check. Julianne professes her love to Michael in My Best Friends Wedding? Double check. I was the worst and I’m ashamed.
Fast forward to 2020 and well…you get the picture. 🙁 We’ve had to improvise and make movie night a regular thing. We turn the lights off, turn the volume super loud (apologies to our poor neighbors) and enjoy a good movie or two. My favorite run so far has been the Harry Potter Marathon we finished in one weekend. Little else was accomplished but my huffledor/griffinpuff heart was sooooo happy.
But what, you ask, makes movie night different from any other night? THE SNACKS OF COURSE! And when I tell you that my kids devoured this puppy chow, I mean they DEVOURED it. It was certainly something to behold.
Tips for Movie Night Puppy Chow:
- This recipe yields a large amount of puppy chow. I like to toss a little bit of the puppy chow in at a time to make sure I have an equal ratio of puppy chow to popcorn to candy. It sounds ridiculous, and maybe it is, but I love having a good balance of salty and sweet.
- Add as many or a little different candies as you’d like. We had M&M’s and Reese’s Pieces on hand this day. Skittles, gummy worms, Milk Duds, or even Junior Mints would go great. Get creative have fun and use what you have on hand. There’s really no rules…just whatever you like.
- Let your puppy chow set. It takes a few extra minutes, but they’re absolutely needed.
- Similar to the candies, you’re more than welcome to add in any extra salty snacks you have. Potato chips or small pretzel bites would be a great addition.
And that’s about it! I really have missed heading to the movies lately. It was a nice treat and one I love getting to experience with my kids, but for now, we make do with what we have and this sweet treat makes it all the more special. I hope you enjoy this it as much as we do. Enjoy! 🙂
Movie Night Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter creamy
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M&M candies
- 1 cup Reese's Pieces candies
- 1 bag microwave popcorn movie theater style
- Place the cereal to a large bowl. Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a separate microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and toss to combine, taking care to ensure the cereal is completely covered.
- Place the powdered sugar in a large gallon sized ziplock bag. Add the chocolate covered cereal and seal. Shake the bag to evenly coat the cereal pieces in the powdered sugar. Pour the contents onto a baking sheet or shallow pan into one even layer. Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set, roughly 10 minutes.
- While the puppy chow is setting, make the popcorn according to the instructions.
- Once the puppy chow is set, combine the popcorn, m&m's, reese's pieces, and puppy chow in a large bowl. Enjoy!
Great movie night snack!