Homestyle Chicken and Biscuits are the ultimate comfort dish. Loaded with tender chicken, creamy vegetables and topped with crispy flaky biscuits. You’re going to want to make this one time and time again!
I LOVE chicken and biscuits (spoken in my best Oprah impression)! It’s creamy and savory. This dish wasn’t something we had very often growing up. So I took it upon myself to try to make it on my own. I, of course, turned to the incomparable Ina Garten. Love her or hate her…but her chicken pot pie recipe is superb. Would not, could not change a single thing about it.
Then enter my hubby, who is not a fan of the crust part of chicken pot pie. So, I did, in fact, end up changing recipe. I added the drop biscuits instead of the pie crust. We have a winner ladies and gentleman! It’s so good. Now if we could do something about this darn Florida heat and I’d be able to make this all the time.
Tips for making Homestyle Chicken and Biscuits:
- Rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut here. I also use the leftover chicken from the cuban sopita. We waste nothing!
- Another shortcut – frozen veggies! I usually always have them on and they hold together so well. Any combination of frozen veggie will work well.
- Stir the sauce constantly. It seems excessive but the last thing you want is for this sauce to burn on the bottom.
- We’re making drop biscuits for this recipe. You want your biscuit dough to be wet enough that you can scoop it with a spoon, but not so wet it’s a batter. The amount of butter milk that you will need honestly depends on the day. So add a little at a time until you get the right consistency. Remember we can always add, not take away 🙂
We really love this recipe! We don’t have it often, seeing as how Florida is basically in the 90’s year round. So when the weather “dips” slightly I bust this recipe out and make it as often as I can. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy 🙂
Homestyle Chicken and Biscuits
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 12 tbsp butter
- 5 cups chicken stock hot
- 2 bouillon cubes
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup diced carrots frozen
- 1 cup peas frozen
- 1 cup green beans frozen
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter cold, cubed
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a large 6-Quart pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Cook until the roux begins to bubble and smells slightly nutty. Whisk in the hot chicken stock and bouillon cubes. Continue to stir and bring it to a low gentle boil and the mixture has thickened.
- Add the heavy cream, chicken, carrots, peas, green beans, and corn. Remove the pot from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the self rising flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in the cubed butter into the flour until the butter is roughly the size of a pea. Stir in the buttermilk, ½ a cup at a time, until the dough is soft enough to drop with a spoon.
- Place the chicken and vegetable mixture in a large 13×9-inch oven safe dish. Spoon individual biscuits over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake the chicken and biscuits at 350° for 35-40 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and the chicken mixture is bubbly. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.