Potatoes, garlic, and salty cheese…need I say more?! These Garlic and Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are crispy and buttery with the perfect amount of saltiness…you’re going to love them!
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times…sometimes simpler is better. Nothing could be truer when it comes to this recipe. It’s a handful of tasty ingredients that come together to create the most irresistible potatoes. Seriously…they’re that good.
Tips for cooking Garlic and Parmesan Smashed Potatoes:
- Use petite potatoes; two bites tops. I can typically find a small bag with a medley at my local grocery store (red and gold potatoes). Fingerling potatoes would also work wonderfully in this recipe as well.
- I use a large skillet to smash my potatoes. You can also use a potato masher (ironically, I do not own one) or another cookie sheet stacked on top.
- I like to slightly undercook my potatoes, as it helps them to retain their shape.
- I have yet to figure out the best technique for “tossing” the potatoes in all the yummy toppings. I find it easier to simply toss them while they’re on the cookie sheet, but it could also work just as well to toss them in a bowl.
- This recipe calls for olive oil, but you can also use canola or grapeseed oil.
That’s about it! These potatoes are just so darn tasty. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! 🙂
Garlic and Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 24 oz. baby potatoes rinsed
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- While the oven preheats, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the rinsed baby potatoes to the pot and boil for 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place them on a nonstick baking sheet. Using a potato masher or a large skillet, gently press down on the potatoes until they start to split and flatted. They should be about 2 inch thick. Repeat until all the potatoes have been smashed.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese, parsley and salt. Gently toss the potatoes to evenly coat.
- Bake the potatoes for 25-30 minutes until they are gold brown. Serve immediately.