Four words: Easy Chocolate Frosted Donuts! They’re light an airy on the inside, but slightly crisp on the outside. Plus the added bonus of the not too sweet chocolate frosting and you’ve got a sweet treat for those lazy weekend mornings.
Full disclosure – this recipe is, from what I’m told, considered a hack. ***shrugs shoulders*** I get it, you’re essentially cutting the whole donut making process down to a mere 20 minutes while eliminating the craftsmanship that comes with waiting patiently for a yeasted donut to rise. In fact, I dont know if this would even qualify as a donut recipe. I get it, I personally was against it too.
But quarantine has us all bending the rules, changing our perspective, and making us try things we swore we would never do, like use canned biscuits for donuts. There was not logic the day I tried this recipe. It was a weekend morning, and a lazy one at that. Pinterest got the better of me that day and I decided why not. I stand here before you today to let you know I am a changed woman. HOLY COW WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING!
These are now the default birthday morning treat (we’ve had 3 so far in quarantine) and truthfully it’s been hard not to make them more often. They’re simply delicious.
Tips for making Easy Chocolate Frosted Donuts:
- For traditional sized donuts, use the larger size “grand” donuts.
- I use a large piping tip to cut the circle out of the middle. If you do not have a piping tip, make a whole using your fingers.
- Make sure you’re oil is hot. If it’s not your biscuits will absorb too much oil, keeping them from puffing up.
- I use a tiny bit of cinnamon in my chocolate frosting. I love the combination it brings.
- My kiddos love having the sprinkles…nix them if they’re not your style. I’ve also also skipped the frosting entirely and rolled the donuts in cinnamon and sugar. They’re quite tasty that way too.
- Allow the donut to cool before frosting them to ensure the frosting doesn’t melt.
Seriously, give these bad boys a try. They’re super easy, quick to make and will give you the perfect treat for lazy weekend days. Let me know what you think! Enjoy! 🙂
Easy Chocolate Frosted Donuts
- 1 can homestyle biscuits
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy bottomed pot.
- While the oil is heating, open the can of biscuits and separate on a cutting board. Using a round cookie cutter or your fingers, make a hole in the middle of the biscuits.
- Place the dough into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, roughly two minutes per side. Remove from the hot oil and drain on a paper towel
- For the frosting: stir together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the heaving whipping cream a tablespoon at a time, stirring between each addition.
- Add the vanilla and stir until fully incorporated.
- Frost the cooled donuts and serve immediately.