Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup is the perfect soup for those busy weeknights. A few simple ingredients come together to make this delicious soup.
Let’s cook a chicken soup with a twist! Load it with roasted tomatoes, black beans and corn. Spice it up with hatch chiles, a touch of chipotle. Also, let’s make it in a slow cooker so dinner time a breeze. This is seriously good eating!
I might be slightly over dramatic here (when am I not ), but this soup is one of my favorites. The Hatch chiles could have something to do with it, or maybe it’s just how easily it all comes together. Whatever the reason is, this one is a truly heavy hitter in my house.
Tips for making this scrumptious Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup:
All the toppings! One of the best parts about this soup in particular is the toppings. Cheese, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, thinly sliced serranos are all tasty additions. I generally use whatever I have on hand.
I make this soup with skinless boneless chicken thighs. They hold better over an extended slower cook, and they are slightly more economical than breast meat.
This recipe calls for a can of fire roasted tomatoes. I personally think they provide an excellent flavor that helps with the smokiness of the soup.
This soup can also be made using a pressure cooker. Simply cook the chicken thighs with water in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes. Once it depressurizes, shred the chicken and add the remaining ingredients.
This soup is very simple, straightforward, but oh how it is tasty. I love to make big batches of it and freeze any leftovers so I have it on hand. It also makes for excellent lunch leftovers. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
Crockpot Southwest Chicken Soup
- 1 lbs chicken thighs skinless and boneless
- 1 14.5oz canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 4oz canned hatch chiles
- 1 15oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz canned corn drained and rinsed
- 64 oz chicken stock low sodium
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Place the chicken thighs, canned vegetables, stock, and spices into the bowl of the slow cooker. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and carefully shred into bite sized pieces. Return the chicken back to the soup. Finish with desired toppings and serve immediately.