Crockpot Lentil Soup is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner. Bacon, vegetables, and lentils simmer away for hours in this hearty soup perfect for fall and winter.
I was a horribly picky eater as a child. It was so bad that if food appeared different in any way I wouldn’t touch them. I would like to think I’ve outgrown most of my picky habits, but the truth is I’m still choosy about certain dishes. However, I can say without a doubt, I was wrong about lentils. They aren’t the most beautiful food in the world, but they’re so yummy! They also have the added bonus of being rich in protein and nutrients. Win Win! 🙂
Tips for making Crockpot Lentil Soup:
- Use green or brown lentils for this recipe. Red Lentils are slightly more tender and will not hold up to the long slow cook.
- Sort and rinse your lentils. Like beans, small pebbles and debris can work their way into the packaging. The last thing you want is to consume said debris.
- I typically prepare my lentils with some sort of pork (either bacon or a decent chunk of ham). My husband uses Spanish chorizo when he makes it. Either way, the pork adds a saltiness and fattiness that the lentils need.
- To make this dish vegetarian friendly, nix the bacon and substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- We serve the soup with a little bit of white rice (like my split-pea soup). Potatoes also work well here.
- Skip peeling the carrots! When I prepare soups, or am cooking for an extended period, I don’t peel my carrots. It helps them maintain their shape through the low and slow cook. Do, however, give them a thorough scrub to remove any excess dirt.
I genuinely hope you give this recipe a try. It’s easy to make, easy on the wallet, and such a hearty filling recipe. Let me know what you think! Enjoy 🙂
Crockpot Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 14 oz lentils sorted and rinsed
- ½ lbs bacon large chunks
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the bacon to the pan and sauté until the fat starts to render. Remove the bacon from the pan once it starts to brown slightly. Set to the side.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the same pan. Sauté the vegetables until the onions are soft and translucent. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Place the lentils, cooked bacon, sautéed vegetables, chicken stock, water, onion powder, garlic powder, bay leaves, and salt to the crockpot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Cook the lentils on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours, or until the lentils are tender and the soup has thickened. Serve with white rice.