Shredded potatoes, diced onion, warm melty cheese all come together in this cheesy potato hashbrown casserole that screams comfort. It’s the perfect addition to any brunch and is sure to please a crowd.
Why do casseroles have such a bad reputation? They’re easily one of the best dishes to make because they’re so simple yet so satisfying! This one in particular is our family’s go to whenever we get together for a holiday breakfast; namely Christmas morning and Easter. It’s also another great pantry dish since I typically always have the ingredients on hand.
Tips for Cheesy Potato Hashbrown Casserole:
- You can use either frozen or fresh potatoes for this recipe. I prefer using frozen since it is a huge time saver and less clean up involved.
- If you are going to use fresh potatoes, soak them in a bit of water and strain thoroughly before adding them to the recipe. This step will prevent the potatoes from browning and remove any excess starch.
- In a pinch, I’ve made this without the onion and substituted onion powder. It doesn’t provide the same punch as the raw onion, but it will work just as well.
- This is more of a general tip for life…always shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in potato starch to prevent clumping while it is on the store shelf. While that’s great for shelf life, it inhibits the cheese from turning into that melty silky goodness we know and love. Also total side note – I didn’t take my own advice when shooting this recipe and am now regretting my poor life choices.
- Get the kids involved! It’s the perfect recipe for really little ones, as we’re only mixing the ingredients in a large bowl. Personally, I have the younger ones take turns adding the ingredients, while my oldest (who’s in middle school) shreds the cheese.
- I know I’m pushing this as a breakfast item, and perhaps it is, but I’ve eaten this with every meal of the day. It’s a great side dish as well!
Cheesy Potato Hashbrown Casserole is simple, straightforward, and is perfect for those times when you need something a little comforting. It’s savoriness is the perfect balance of starch and cheese. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. Let me know what you think. Enjoy! 🙂
Cheesy Potato Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 30oz bag frozen shredded hashbrowns thawed
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 10.5 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 12oz bag shredded colby jack cheese divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded hashbrowns, yellow onion, butter, cream of chicken, salt, pepper, and ¾ of the shredded colby jack. Mix until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add the hashbrown mixture into the baking dish. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.