HELLOOOO CHEESY GOODNESS! These cheesy hamburger sliders come together so effortlessly and are sure to please a crowd. Ground beef, chopped onions, a squeeze of ketchup and mustard, all topped with sharp cheddar cheese, all come together for a tasty weeknight dinner. Trust me you’re going to want to try these.
One time, in college, I flew to Iowa to visit my roommate over a summer break. While we were there, we paid a visit to a restaurant that made burgers with chopped meat. I honestly had never heard of it before. Steak burgers? Sure! But this? It seemed so different from anything I would have considered to be a burger.
Oh, how I was wrong…they were so so sooooooo good. This would eventually give birth to this recipe. I scaled it down to sliders and added sweet hawaiian rolls because they’re always a wise decision.
Also, in the spirit of full transparency, this recipe is arguably my preteen daughter’s favorite. A direct quote from said preteen daughter, “I mean it’s up there…that and your mac and cheese“. Isn’t it the best when you can make something they love? 🙂
Swaps and Add-On’s:
One of the best parts about this recipe is it’s incredibly flexible. Here are some of my favorite add-ons/swaps:
- Swap out your protein for ground turkey, chicken, or pork. Be sure to adjust your seasoning accordingly.
- Get crazy and change the cheese to a nice swiss or colby jack.
- Add pickles (doesn’t fly in my house..apologies to my hubby) or jalapenos…
- Onion or potato rolls are delicious here.
- While I enjoy using an 80/20 ground beef blend for a burger, I tend to use something a little leaner here. Since we’re browning off the meat, we don’t want anything too greasy.
- I love onions, but my husband will only eat them if they’re cooked thoroughly. I made sure to sweat down the onions as much as possible. If you like the crunch of raw onions, you can cook them less.
- If the rolls start to brown too quickly, cover them with aluminum foil until the sliders are done.
- Make sure that your slider filling is not too wet. The last thing you want is a soggy bottom. ← could not type this without laughing…you’re welcome.
So give these cheesy hamburger sliders a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy 🙂
Cheesy Hamburger Sliders
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lbs ground beef preferably chuck , 90/10
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1½ tsp garlic powder divided
- 1½ tsp onion powder divided
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- ½ tbsp yellow mustard
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 sweet hawaiian rolls sliced in half, like a hamburger bun
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While the oven is preheating, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add the onions and saute until soft and translucent.
- Add ground beef and brown meat until cooked through. If needed, drain off excess grease.
- Add ketchup, mustard, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined.
- Place the bottom half of the rolls on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Add the ground beef and onion mixture, creating an even layer.
- Place sharp cheddar cheese slices evenly over the meat followed by the top half of the rolls.
- Combine the melted butter with ½ tsp of onion powder and ½ tsp of garlic powder.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with the butter mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and tops browned. Serve warm.