Are you looking to spice up breakfast? It’s time to ditch your usual bowl of cereal and try something new. These baked eggs and spicy sweet potato hash will become your go-to. Crispy sweet potatoes spiced with chili, garlic, smoky paprika, oven-baked eggs, and a sprinkle of fresh green onions—all combined into one deliciously hearty meal. So grab your skillet, preheat the oven, and let’s get cooking!
This post is not sponsored, but you will find affiliate links on this page. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but I may make a small commission based on your purchase.
We are big fans of this recipe around here. It’s versatile enough to be eaten at any meal while also being a breeze to “throw” together. I love that I can get some extra veggies and protein into my littles. Arguably the best part? It’s a one-skillet meal which means no extra pots or pans. You’re going to love it!
Tips for Baked Eggs and Spicy Sweet Potato Hash
- You want to dice your sweet potatoes relatively small. The smaller the dice, the faster they’ll cook in the pan; bigger pieces would ideally need to be boiled.
- This is a one-pot recipe. I love making this in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. Any heavy-bottomed non-stick skillet will work, as long as it is oven-proof.
- Make it spicy! Or not…really whichever you’d like. I used red Fresno chili pepper because I love the subtle sweet heat it brings. Other great options include serranos, jalapenos, Thai, or hatch (if you can find them)
- Pack in the veggies! This version is straightforward and simple. However, you can add just about anything: bell peppers, spinach, kale, carrots, or mushrooms.
- Don’t overbake your eggs! The eggs will look slightly underdone and opaque, but they will carry over cooking slightly.
That’s it! Baked eggs and spice sweet potato hash is a great twist to the standard skillet hash. It’s that salty sweet spicy goodness that comes together in a pinch. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Baked Eggs and Spicy Sweet Potato Hash
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Fresno chili diced
- 2 sweet potato Peeled and diced
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 eggs
- 1 green onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°℉.
- Heat olive oil in a medium cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add the onion, garlic, and Fresno chili. Sautee until translucent. Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet. Cook over medium until the sweet potatoes begin to soften, roughly 10 minutes. Add the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper to the skillet. If it appears to dry, add additional olive oil.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet. Bake the skillet for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are just set and slightly opaque. Top with the sliced green onions. Serve immediately.