There’s no denying that summer is in full swing, which means one thing: ice cream season. Can we agree that ice cream season is the best season? Can we also agree that vanilla ice cream drizzled in a gooey apple pie caramel sauce is always a good idea? It’s so darn good, in fact, it’s going to become a summer staple.
Hello! My name is Nicole and I have a deep affinity to apple pie. It’s warm, cozy, and, at this point in my life, makes me nostalgic for a time when things seemed much simpler (I’m looking at you 2020). The tricky thing about apple pies during these sweltering summer months is having to turn the oven on. Some days it’s just too hot!
Enter this concoction which, truthfully, was born out of a need to use aging apples in my pantry. It’s arguably the most requested dessert from my adventurous eater of a middle child; naturally I oblige. We keep it pretty simple and straightforward, pouring it over a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Apple Pie Caramel Sauce:
- Use a good, solid baking apple for this recipe. You want the apple to be soft, while maintaining its shape. I’m partial to Pink Lady’s but Granny Smith will work as well.
- We love pouring this over a good vanilla ice cream. But this would also be great over a good crumbly shortbread, pancakes, french toast…tons of options here!
- Be sure to let this mixture cool thoroughly before consuming. This is a syrupy sugary sauce that will burn you if not cooled properly.
- Refrigerate any leftover sauce in an airtight container. Reheat the sauce in the microwave in 30 second intervals until warm. Eat within 2-3 days.
This Apple Pie Caramel Sauce is the perfect summer treat. It’s simple, easy, and takes only a few staple pantry ingredients. Served over ice cream it’s a classic treat for those hot summer days, and I can’t wait for you to give it a try. Let me know what you think! Enjoy 🙂
Apple Pie Caramel Sauce
- 3 medium tart apples peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples and saute slightly for 5 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pinch of salt to the pan. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, until the apples are soft.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Removed from heat and allow to cool before eating.